Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Weekend of Ups and Downs

Well as you all know Friday didn't end too well for us as a family, well I should say that Friday didn't end too well for our van. Our family was miraculously safe.
We were having a great 4 day weekend. Thursday, Monica took the kids to Gardner Village and later that evening we went out for dinner as a family, something that doesn't happen all the time. Friday morning Sam, Ammon and Bella and I went shooting with my dad. It was an early birthday activity for SamWe all had an enjoyable time. Since Sam was feeling older and more confident he wanted to shoot the big guns. He really liked them and I was proud of his ability to keep them steady and accurate. Ammon and Bella participated more this time than they normally do, they only stopped when the magazine for the gun that they were enjoying shooting broke. They both did an excellent job. Like I always say, I really enjoy going shooting with my kids. Even when I am just sitting there watching them have fun I am having fun. Most of my time out there is helping them and watching them so that nobody gets hurt, so I don't get to do a lot of shooting, but I don't seem to mind it. I just love being out there enjoying the time with my kids.

After we were done we left to come home and my dad bought us lunch at Mcdonald's. The kids were so excited. They love that place for some reason. So things were going great so far. We were all excited to go out as a family later to watch a movie for Sam's birthday. We got home and rested for awhile. Sam and I started on his final project for Webelos, he is making a Family Night Assignment Board for his project. When it was time to go we all excitedly got in the van and went to the District to watch "Legend of the Guardians" . It was a surprisingly good movie. Monica and I were pleasantly surprised.
After the movie we jumped into the van and started on our way home. Monica and I started talking about how great the weekend had been so far, and how blessed we felt to have been able to do so much fun stuff as a family. We got to the Bangerter and 7000 South intersection as the light was turning red, so we were sitting there waiting. I was just thinking about what we were going to have for dinner and how much fun it was that day, and how grateful I was to have been able to take vacation time when the kids were out of school, when all of a sudden the van leaped from the stopped position and entered the intersection. I didn't realize what was happening, all I had heard prior to it moving was a dull thud sound. I was pressing the brake trying to get the van to stop when it finally came to a stop, I was dazed and I looked to my right to see Monica and the kids, when I noticed that there was no glass on that side of the vehicle and I realized what had happened and I jumped out of the van .





As I came around the side and saw the extent of the damage, and I didn't hear anything coming from inside, I thought my children were dead, and I snapped. I turned to the guy sitting in his truck and started yelling at him that those were my kids and my family and I went for my gun. Before I could pull it I heard a loud voice behind me say check the kids. I ran over to the side and to my relief and great joy they were all ok. I felt as it were a great burden having been lifted as I asked them how they were and if they were hurt. They all said that they were fine. Ammon was sitting in a cocoon of twisted metal. Everything collapsed around him, but stopped short of crushing him. Not one of them had a speck of glass on them, not even a scratch. I turned to the guy who hit us and apologized for yelling at him.
The miracle extended to us that night was probably the greatest evidence in my mind that God loves us. There is no natural explanation as to why nothing happened. Yesterday Monica and I went to get our personal belongings out of the van and I just reached my hand in the van and rubbed on some of the glass and got cut, yet not one little scratch on my children or Monica. The gratitude that I feel is immense. I thank our Father in Heaven for sending his Angels down when we needed them the most, and although He speaks to us in a still small voice, He knows when it is necessary to yell at us, for which I am eternally grateful. God lives, nobody can ever convince me otherwise. Although miracles take place daily in our lives, this one stands out in my mind as one of the greatest miracles performed by God, because He saved my family.

Save

4 comments:

Monica said...

It was a scary accident. I too am greatful everyone is o.k. Al acctually got the worse of it with a very sore back and neck. I know we were protected as we were pushed out into the intersection that another car coming from the other direction didn't hit us as well.

Amy and Mike said...

Wow I am so glad that you were all o.k. It sounded like a great day before that. I guess even in the worst circumstances, we can see the hand of the Lord.

Mandos said...

Ashlyn was so jeoulas of your kids getiing to go out and shoot and thinks she needs to be as advanced as your kids. :)

SO so greatful you guys are ALL ok.

ScoundrelLV said...

What a bad way to end a night. But what miracles in your families behalf. That is amazing. It just shows you are living your life right.