Thursday, February 19, 2009

Turning the hearts of the children to the fathers

Many know that I love genealogy work. I started a few years ago and have literally found hundreds of names going back several generations to the early 1700's. I've enjoyed the thrill of the hunt and the tremendous spiritual experience it is for me.

It all started a few years back, I had been trying to find some information, and had spent hours going through micro film. I found a name, but it was the wrong person, so I continued to advance through the film and I heard a voice say go back that was me. I went back and read the name and it was not the name I was looking for, so I continued to go forward. Then I heard it again, "go back, that was me." I went back and went through the entire record and sure enough it was him! My great-great-grandfather, Severo Marin. From that one name I was able to uncover generations of ancestors who were waiting for their temple work to be done.

Then after a couple years I started again and I was having a hard time finding information on my grandpa Garcia's line. No information was available. The Church that was in his hometown was burned down during the Cristeo War because his town was very active fighting against the federales during the war. I was lost, and I started searching some areas, and one day while looking I found some records with his family name in another town. I checked and the town was next to my grandfather's home town and the records were located there. I checked on the town originally because I felt an impression to check there, even though I didn't know where it was. Following that impression helped me find literally hundreds of names and several generations.

This week I've spent some time looking up some information on Monica's dad side. I found a ton of stories for her about her ancestor Ute Perkins, and the entire Perkins family. I found Ute's Will and it was witnessed by none other than Abe Lincoln (he died in Illinois). He got his endowments out in the Nauvoo Temple and they gave the land for the church to start the town of Ramus. He was a Revolutionary War veteran and the first in his family to accept the gospel, and he has quite the massive posterity. I found some other information and stories for her, and I started thinking that I wanted to know about my ancestors as well. Unfortunately my ancestors didn't keep journals or have volumes written about them. I do know that my ancestors fought in two Revolutions and most importantly they fought for their religious independence in the Cristeo War. I found a story last night about the men who fought in the north east portion of Jalisco, and that is where my ancestors are from. They played a major part in the war, and I am proud to be a descendant of someone who would recognize the need to fight for something as important as the right to worship God. They had endured the liberal Mexican government taking everything from them and when they took their religion they had enough and would take no more.


My heart has truly turned to my fathers. I love them and want to know them. I have a strong desire to see them and talk to them and get to know them as people. I look forward to the time that I can sit with them and talk to them. When I was 12 years old I had a dream, where I was walking through the ruins of Mexico. I went into one of the temples and I remember looking at some pictographs on the wall and saying I wish I could know my ancestors. Just then I heard a voice behind me and sitting on a rock on the other side of the room was our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, He said would you like to know them and raised his hands and the wall behind him opened and I saw numberless spirits coming forth and falling at His feet and worshipping Him who is our King. I could see that their hearts longed to be with Him and they were bathing His feet with their tears. As I saw this scene my heart ached for them, and I woke up. Then a couple of years ago I thought I was doing pretty good. I was actively doing my family work in the Temple and finding names. One night as I was asleep I had another interesting dream. In my dream I was with the Prophet Joseph Smith and he was walking me through the aftermath of the saints being expelled from Independence. He was describing to me their privations and their sufferings. He was telling me that they were doing all that they could to help these saints, but that there was one that they couldn't help, only I could. He turned and pointed to a person standing in the corner, and it was my Grandma Ramirez (grand-daughter of Severo Marin who originally helped me with my initial family work). She looked so sad and was crying and saying that nobody cared about her. I insisted that I did, but she kept repeating that nobody cared. All of a sudden I realized that I had not done her work in the Temple yet. I woke up crying, realizing my sin against her and my family. Needless to say I've done her work and she is now sealed to her family.

I will continue to do the work for my ancestors, and I will continue to expect their help in the process. I love them and I know that they love me. I made promises before coming to this earth and I must keep those promises. I love genealogy!

2 comments:

Mandos said...

How beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

Marnie said...

I am impressed with all that you are able to find. Monica shared some of the stories you found with us on our trip to Vegas. It is so cool to find out more about the Sharp side of the family. Your story is very touching. Thanks!