Sunday, February 1, 2009

Rafael Enrique Garcia III "Champ"

On January 24, 2009 Monica and I had the opportunity to attend the Temple and perform baptisms for the dead, in the which we performed a baptism for my cousin Rafalito who was brutally murdered on August 19, 2004 while walking to a store not far from his home. The best part about performing the baptism for him, was that it was his birthday also.

As I stood in as proxy for him my heart ached inside for him. He was only 17 years old and had overcome a lot and turned out to be quite an outstanding young man. He was born into an abusive home, where he was constantly belittled by my uncle. He lived with us off and on a couple of times and he really loved my family as a child. I last saw him about 6 months before I left on my mission, so that was a long time ago. My mom and dad went to see him while he was staying with a school group in a hotel in Houston about a month before he was killed. When they attended the funeral for him they reported over a 1,000 people in attendance and that was just what was counted. The local news in San Antonio, TX showed pictures of the church and the entire place was surrounded by those who loved him. His big heart and his ability to love unconditionally made him more friends than I think he even knew he had amongst all levels of society. My mom recently received a CD from my aunt from some kids in his school who made a song about him. A cable crime tv show did a show dedicated to him and his case, and the science used to solve his murder.

I miss my cousin, and although I wasn't able to see him before he died, I know that the work which I did for him will be accepted and I will see him again, and then I will embrace Rafalito in my arms and tell him that I love him. I am grateful for temples and the great privilege given to us to perform the work therein for and in behalf of our ancestors and family members.

8 comments:

Mandos said...

I had no idea that something so painful had happened to your family! How tragic. Thank you for sharing.
I'm sure that it was a great comfort for you to be able to start his temple work.

Amanda said...

I knew your cousin. We both attended SISD and would have graduated together (c/o 2006) had he lived. I remember him through out the years and I was one of the "awkward," students. However, he didn't see me as that. No words can describe how sad the student body was. Years afterward, my heart still aches and it feels as though this had just happened. I used to live off of 281 and mogford rd so I would pass the site regularly. If you are able to, please let me know what tv show and episode his story came on. It's been years and I still have unanswered questions.

Lovingly,
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Amanda, the show was Forensic Files episode named "Critical Maneuver" aired on 2/21/2007.

skyguerra3@gmail.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

This Forensic files TV show on HLNHD channel was last aired Saturday, 4 pm, 1/23/16 so check for repeat showings

Anonymous said...

This Forensic files TV show on HLNHD channel was last aired Saturday, 4 pm, 1/23/16 so check for repeat showings

Unknown said...

I went to wrenn middle School with him and played football with him. He played center.

skyguerra3@gmail.com said...

I loved him so much. Rip my friend