Saturday, March 21, 2009



I am coaching the Diamondbacks again this year. I am a little hesitant about it because of the time commitment, but Sam and Ammon are playing on my team this year. My entire team is pretty raw, I have 3 returning players, but you can tell the off season has not been good to them. We had an exhibition game yesterday against the Mets and were spanked hard by them 11 to 4. Our pitching was horrendous and our infield allowed way too many runs. We had a player steal 3rd base right in front of our shortstop who happened to be holding the ball as she ran past him. Our 3rd baseman threw the ball to home plate for a hail mary play while a runner was bearing down on him from 2nd. Our catcher was watching the visiting team bench while the pitcher was pitching to him. I was jumping up and down like a madman yelling at everybody trying to call plays and position players. It is going to be a long season. I guess I shouldn't complain too much they've only had 2 practises so far and we were wanting to see how they fared in a game scenario. Sam didn't catch the ball but he made two plays. Both him and Ammon struck out at the plate. I need to work with them more.
I tried getting out of the commitment, but was unable. I have so much on my plate right now it is a little nerve racking for me. Maybe it will help me relax a little, who knows. At least I will be able to spend a lot of time with the boys helping them hone their skills.

2 comments:

Amy and Mike said...

It sounds like you have quite the challenge. Remember to let the kids have fun. I'm sure it will be a good experience.

Mandos said...

I'm sure you will end up loving it! The boys will love it too! Good luck!