Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Caucus Night



Last night was Caucus night for Utah's political parties. I had time this year so I took the opportunity to participate in my Caucus meeting. I had been debating back and forth for several days whether or not I would seek election as a delegate for my precinct, and thought that I had made a decision by the time that I arrived just to support those who were nominated since I didn't have anyone present to nominate me. Once the meeting started they asked who would like to run for election as the delegates. They needed one for the County and one for the State. I decided to go ahead and put forth my name for consideration. There were four of us. Each of us took our turn explaining why we should be elected to represent the precinct. I hadn't prepared any remarks since I had decided not to. As I began to speak I felt the words flow from my mouth with confidence and passion. When I finished everyone was silent and the next two fumbled through their explanations. Then we voted and I won with a unanimous decision. I was told that they felt that with my knowledge of the Constitution they felt that they would be better served with me as the delegate for the State. After the meeting I was held up for about 2 hours talking about politics, The Constitution, U.S. History and other topics. They wanted to talk to me to pick my brain. It felt good to know that I would be participating in the political process in a more intimate manner. I will serve out my two years as the State Delegate for my Precinct and then I will consider running for public office. The people who were picking my brain have the responsibility to identify individuals who they want to run for public office. Who knows what will happen within the next two years. I might decide that I will just stick to political commentary, or I might decide to make a difference and do something great.








3 comments:

Mandos said...

Wow! Look at you Al! Good luck.

Mom in Orem said...

That is an excellent move. You CAN make a difference! but be careful, don't count your chickens before they hatch and watch out because politics is a nasty business. I wish you great success!We need honest people in there.

Marnie said...

What a crazy turn of events. Sounds like an exciting night. Good luck with your new position.