Thursday, March 4, 2010

In My Defence

I am compelled to write this blog and post it on my family blog in defence of myself and my views. It has come to my attention that while trying to explain my reasoning behind not wanting to work for the U.S. Census taking place this year, Monica portrayed me as an ignorant, narrow-minded individual who makes decisions based upon hearsay and falsehoods.

So, in my defence I need to set the record straight. My refusal to work for the U.S. Census is based off of my personal beliefs. It is not based off of anything that I've heard on the radio or read on some blog online. It is deeply entrenched in the Constitution.

The Constitution of the United States, indicates in Article 1, Section 2, "An enumeration shall be made within three years after the first meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent term of ten years, in such manner as they shall by law direct." The only Constitutional mandate made by the Constitution is that the people are to be counted to determine the head count of the population in order to properly seat the right amount of Representatives in Congress. The current Census is directed under Title 13 of the U.S. Code. It is my personal belief that the Constitution only authorizes a head count, and that the long form should not be required by law, on the basis of the Constitutionality. I could care less about who is President of the United States, or which political party one is affiliated with.

I am not one to make decisions without fully understanding the reasoning behind my decision being made. Hopefully this clears things up a bit. I always tell Monica not to try and defend my positions, but she is always tries. I love her, and I know she does it because she loves me. She is great.

2 comments:

Mandos said...

I think we all respect your polical belifes. And I don't think anyone thougth ill of you for not wanting to work for the cenceus. But I apprciate the clarifaction. :) Love ya!!

Mom in Orem said...

Al,
You are a very wonderful strongly opinionated young man. You have educated yourself well and are trying to do what is right. Since I too am somewhat an ultra conservative I tend to agree with most of what you purport. And I love and respect you for it! You make a strong point in your favor of being against the census, and I would have to agree with most of what you say. However, I hope that the prophet out trumps your political beliefs since the First Presidency asked us to be compliant. I love you! Don't ever change.